Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Latch hook kittens!

<h2>Zeitgeisha: DIY</h2>
Latch hook kits! I am making a bitchin' latch-hook kitten, and then I am going to turn it into a pillow!

Pillows: my go-to fabric-based craft. If I have a piece of fabric that I can turn into a pillow, I'll hoard it and then eventually sew it to other things and stuff it and say it's a cushion.

So obviously my conclusion-of-choice for a latch-hook cat would be to turn it into a pillow.

Ingredients:
1 latch-hook cat set from Michaels, around $16
1 latch-hook with a wooden handle, around $5
1 container to attempt to organize these insanely-similarly brown-coloured tiny pieces of yarn, free cuz i already had it
1 blue highlighter to keep track of my conquest, free cuz i stole it from my last job when they ditched town
1 slightly-masochistic sense of boredom, the costs are hard to track on this one, but i'm sure they are expensive

This is my first ever attempt at latch-hook. I start by attempting to figure out which colour threads match to which symbol on the map. The colour chart they give you is fun to look at, but does not correspond to the yarn colours <em>at all</em>. The brown looks like olive green. Colour chart is more harm than help. So I recycled that useless jerk! So, the threads come in 4 identical bundles. If there are 40 pieces of a colour, there will be 10 in each bundle. The options are: light brown, medium brown, brown, tan, gold, sand, and light beige. Have fun with that! I basically attempted to sort them by lightest to darkest, then resorted to going by the number of threads in each pack (also, thankfully, listed). I squinted at the tiny version of the cat on the front of the box, and decided that I was going to accept that my cat may end up inverted.

Luckily, I think I managed to narrow down mostly the correct colours. The real challenge was when I got to the tip of his cute pink nose. The symbol up next: light brown. But in the image, the nose is clearly two shades of pink, darker and lighter. The "dark pink" yarn actually looks more like light maroon, but it's called light brown. I agonized over this conundrum for days, until finally realising that if the colour-chart was so wrong, so must be the descriptions of the colours. So I said, Screw it, I'm going to trust my instincts and put pink on his lil' pink nose.

Now I basically just have to keep at it while I watch tv in the evening. I can usually do about 2 or 3 rows before my actual cat crawls on me or I get too sore from sitting still that long. The next adventure awaits... trying to turn it into a cushion when I'm through!

No comments:

Post a Comment